Let It Shine! Rock-a-thon
Alliance Women Ministries (AWM) is sponsoring a national rock-a-thon called "Let It Shine! Rock-athon" to raise funds for the 2012-13 National Project that benefits ministries to children around the
world. The following guidelines are only suggested tips to help you as you promote, plan and carry out
your local rock-a-thon (or rock-a-thons!).
Printable Guidelines, Sponsor Sheet, and more Graphics (PDF)
1. Plan a date (AWM has chosen April 27, 2013 as the national rock-a-thon date, however if your
church and community cannot do that date, please pick a different date), time and location to hold the
event. Choose your venue early so that you can get necessary approval if it is in a church facility or a
public place. 2. Once your venue and date are secured, start promoting it several months ahead of the event so that
participants have a chance to get pledges. Since this is an activity for all ages so encourage everyone
to participate! Invite mom's and dad's, grandma's and grandpa's to bring the little ones to rock for the
sake of other children worldwide who may not have someone to rock them and care for their needs.
3. There are posters available to download on the Alliance women Ministries website
( www.alliancewomen.org ).Hang posters in your church and around the community to get as many
rockers as possible. Make sure there is contact information if you hang them in the community so that
they can get sponsor forms from you. The rock-a-thon is sponsored by Alliance Women Ministries but
should be an all church and community event!
4. Consider getting local businesses to sponsor your event to help provide funds so that you can have
refreshments and t-shirts for the event and more and not have to take money out of the proceeds collected
by walkers. There are rock-a-thon logos online that you could use to have t-shirts screen printed
or create iron-ons.
5. Distribute as many sponsor forms as possible. Remember that people can sponsor per ½ hour of
rocking or a fixed amount. Have people collect money ahead of time if possible and applicable (if they
are giving a fixed amount) and return this to you at a set date or the date of the rock-a-thon.
6. The day of the rock-a-thon, arrive early and set up refreshments and check-in tables. Volunteers are
always important to the success of an event! Don't forget to make sure you have a rocking chair for each
person participating or if rockers know how long they plan to rock you can have a sign-up sheet for
chairs at certain times.
7. Make it a fun event! Think about providing entertainment like music and even a family-friendly
movie! Encourage rockers to bring a good book to read! Begin your time in prayer for the Lord's blessing
on the National Project and for the event. Sing a worship song, start the countdown and get ready to
8. Make sure to let all rockers know the deadline for any uncollected money to be returned to you. Collect
money and submit it to your district treasurer as soon as possible to be added to the AWM National
9. "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world!" and by holding a "Let It Shine! Rock-athon"
you are loving the children in His Name!
Sponsored by Alliance Women Ministries